Epitaph
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Epitaph

'Aut vincere aut mori'

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unhappy with Epitaph?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Eleora

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Unhappy with Epitaph? Empty
PostSubject: Unhappy with Epitaph?   Unhappy with Epitaph? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 10:46 am

It's been brought to my attention that some of you aren't happy with the direction I'm pushing Epitaph in, especially with regards to my 'demands' for gear.

To be clear; this is what I ask for.

1. That people reply to the gearcheck thread, and keep it updated when your gear changes.

Why? So we can make sure that you are getting what you need. And so we can help you get the gear you need. I only want it updated when changed. There was a reason that I've made it compulsory to update before you're accepted for a raid. Because otherwise, people will not do it. I am not requesting you get at least 1 upgrade before each raid. Just that you keep your post up to date.

2. That people who need help to get equipment use the wishlist.
This is not compulsory. It is entirely for your benefit. I am happy to run people through normal/heroic instances until they get what they need.

To be entirely honest, I do not understand why people have a problem with this. Personally, I don't feel like we're becoming 'hardcore', which is the only concern I think that people could really have.

Here's some extracts from some raid sites.

Quote :
Karazhan is really the only instance that is required in our current level of progression. Given the fact that we will consider only applications from people in tier-4, it makes this a requirement. You will also be required to have all 5 heroic keys in your possession

Quote :
We may require, at times, for a raid member to respec or ask them to do something outside of their ordinary comfort-zone in a raid. These requests are usually made based on raid balance or strategy. Once you have been accepted to the raid group, however, you will be expected to show up with the talent spec that you were initially invited with unless a Raid or Class Leader approves a change to your raid spec.

Quote :
Note: during your trial we expect you to attend at least 3 raids/week. Do not apply if you can't make this number of raids now, but rather apply again later.

Quote :
At the moment recruiting is VERY strict. What are we looking for? Dedicated individuals who can raid at least 5x a week. From about 7:45pm est to 1am. If you can’t commit to something like this save us both some time and don’t apply. You must be attuned to Black Temple, and geared to be able to function efficiently in the higher instances. If you don’t or can’t meet these requirements don’t waste your time.

Chris and I do not ask for more than two nights a week. We do not make those nights compulsory. We do not force respecs, if you don't want to respec, you say so. To quote Chris, play the game you want to play. We have no class or spec restrictions. We allow anyone who wants to come. As we learnt recently, it's not always such a good idea to have so many warriors in one group. We couldn't even bring down Moroes. Did we lament this, demand that everyone respec and farm for gear? Did we change the rules to limit the amount of warriors who could attend a raid night? No. What we did do is use it as a constructive learning experience.

The key here is finding balance. This applies to members as well as leaders. Both sides have to make compromises, otherwise we'll never get anywhere.

Epitaph was founded for your benefit. Not ours. I'd have happily joined another raiding group, had I the urge. I'd already been to Khara, seen the sights, got some gear.

Epitaph was founded to give the people who may never normally get a chance to see Kharazan and other raid instances that chance.

Epitaph does not request a talent respec. Nor do we have a list of gear that people should have before they even think about raiding.

However, as we've seen, without the right equipment and talent build, a person can be practically useless to a raid. Harsh but true. I lost count of the times we wiped on Moroes. A tricky fight, but generally beatable. As a group, before now, our work has taken us far as PFM, so as you can see, we've taken a slight step backwards. We expected this. Epitaph is an introduction to raiding for many of you. However, there is no excuse for making the same mistake week after week. Don't get me wrong, I like Moroes, but I like him better dead.

To wipe once is fun.
To wipe twice is educational and a little frustrating.
To wipe three times is irritating.
To wipe more than this, if nothing else, is disheartening. It also shows that there is either

a) something wrong with our group build
b) something wrong with our DPS/healers/tanks
c) something wrong with our tactics.

Needless to say, we've used this tactic before and taken him down first go. The point of these introductory raids is to teach and learn. Not to wipe several times, become disheartened, lose the will to raid. And do this week after week. If we carry on like that, the only place we'll get to see is the stables and the banquet hall.

We want progression. To want progression is not to become a hardcore group. How many of you would like to see Zul'Aman? If we cannot handle Kharazan now, we will never see Zul'Aman. Or Tempest Keep. Or the Sunwell instances. We'll be stuck in the same rut -if- the group hasn't been disbanded before then.

I have spoken to people about their talents. People who aren't doing quite as much DPS as is needed. I will not force anyone to respec, but if we can't get the DPS, how are we going to progress? The same thing applies to tanks and healers.

I've spoken to people about their gear. Surely everyone wants better equipment? We certainly -need- it, myself included. I've already posted my wishlist, a pair of DPS shoes. In theroy, all gear needed to start Kharazan is available from 5 mans/heroics. I am not saying you have to get this gear to raid with us, not at all. You'll get upgrades with us too. But it will help. I'm not making you go out and instance or grind for honour if you don't want to. But I am offering the option of my help should you wish to.

I do not want to force people to do things. However, sometimes I wonder if I should to get the results that we all want. All I want is for people to make an effort. Some people say we're not strict enough. We don't want to have to be strict.

To quote a dear friend

Quote :
If people aint willing to put a bit of effort in, they wont get anything back.

When complaining about pressure put on you, or the amount I nag you, remember this.

Oh, and there's a reason I nag.

I'll leave it there for now. Apologies if this post seemed a little blunt or harsh but I've had 2 hours sleep and I'm in a world of hurt. The points still stand however, and I've tried to make my feelings clear.

Last edited by Eleora on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eleora

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy with Epitaph?   Unhappy with Epitaph? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 1:47 pm

And to be doubly clear. I won't force you to get better gear. I won't stop you coming because your gear isn't what it could be.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy with Epitaph?   Unhappy with Epitaph? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 1:59 pm

Personally, I think that anyone who complains about Epitaph becoming hardcore is just being to bloody lazy to get of their bottoms and do something that has been asked, not forced, asked of them.

Seriously, hardcore? if you think Epitaph is becoming hardcore, then what would you call Honorbound?

The way I see it is this, you've got 2 choices

1. Shut up and get on with it.

or

2. Don't raid with us so-called hardcore folks.

Bitching and whining because you have to put a bit of effort in along side 9 other people just doesn't cut it for me. Give Vicky and Chris a break and pick one of my two options.
Back to top Go down
AlrKeon

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy with Epitaph?   Unhappy with Epitaph? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 7:24 am

I believe that those who do complain are afraid that they will not get a place within the raids.
Of course I agree that finding suitable gear for a mage is not hard, but let's say you are a DPS warrior... Ye have to get epics to do fancy DPS. And even though you might have the DPS needed, you are not guaranteed the spot, as (i'm sorry to say) DPS warriors are not the best of classes...

Perhaps it is time to make two raiding groups soon, to guarantee everyone a spot.
scratch
Of course I was never the smartest in the class, so don't blame me for this post <.<
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy with Epitaph?   Unhappy with Epitaph? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 8:00 am

The idea of making 2 groups I think is a goal of Epitaphs, but we lack the vital roles to make up the second group. also, my suspicions tell me it's not a warrior who is complaining, but I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unhappy with Epitaph?   Unhappy with Epitaph? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unhappy with Epitaph?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Epitaph :: Off Topic :: Archives-
Jump to: